Publications / Family Law

family law


September 08, 2016



Free Download
Guide through Family Court Proceedings
Get in touch
How to book an appointment
How to appoint a lawyer

UAE Family Matters Q&A: My Husband Abandoned Me, Can I Divorce?

Question: I am an Asian Muslim woman married to an Asian Muslim man. He divorced me via text and has completely abandoned me in the UAE. I have not been able to contact him for a long time. Do I need to file for a Khula to legally separate from him or do I have the right to file for a divorce? If so, what kind of case can I file against him?

Answer: Having considered your case, you do not need to file for a Khula to get legal separation from your husband. You will need to file a case in the family court to request the judge to prove divorce. Such a case will be made in accordance with Article 106 of UAE Federal Law No?28 of 2005, the Personal Status Law. If, for any reason, you were not able to prove that your husband divorced you, you will still have the right to file a case requesting the judge to grant you a divorce on the basis of Hajir, or abandonment, provided you furnish the judge with witnesses to prove this. In addition, you will also have the right to claim divorce on the basis of "harm" as envisaged under Article 117 of the Personal Status Law, or based on the fact that your husband did not support you financially after leaving you, as per Article 124 of the same law. If your husband has abandoned you for a period exceeding one year, you would have the right to claim for divorce on the basis of Article 129 of the Personal Status Law.

Want to know more?
Then talk to us.

Client Testimonials

I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.

Raphael Lauria
Manager, FME General Trading

Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.

Zhuo Liu

...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...

H.H. Sheikh Saeed Bin
Mohammed Hashir Al Maktoum

I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.

Luis Pozueco

Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.

Bassam Yamout
Director, JM Metal Trading LCC

He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.

Philippe Delbecq

Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.

Anil Relwani
Manager, Luxury Real Estate

Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.

Asma Mattar
Manager, Italian Style

Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.

Dr. Massimo Hakim
Chairman, Italian Style

I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.

Manish Gupta
Marketing Manager, Express Digital System

Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.

James Horsley
British Client

Contact Me

Main Menu

Contact Me