Publications / Family Law

family law


March 17, 2016



Free Download
Guide through Family Court Proceedings
Get in touch
How to book an appointment
How to appoint a lawyer

Can I File an Adultery Case Against My Husband's Girlfriend?

Question: I am an expatriate woman living in Dubai. My husband left me and is living with his girlfriend. I know that adultery is illegal in the UAE so please advise what I can do about it. Also, is it possible to file case only against the girlfriend?

Answer: According to Article 356 of Law No. 3 of 1987, "anyone indulging in the crime of indecent assault with mutual consent shall be punished by detention for at least one year". Your husband and his girlfriend can be punished with a jail sentence if they are found guilty. As per Article 121 of the same law, if they are found guilty both of them will have to be deported. It is important to note that the judge has discretionary powers to reduce jail sentence if they are found guilty. However, the judge does not have the power to remove deportation. In light of this, if you believe there is merit in your suspicion you can report the issue either personally or through a lawyer to a police station, providing any evidence you have, whether communications, photos, witnesses et cetera. With regards your last query, you cannot file a case only against the girlfriend; the charges will be against both of them.

Question: I am an Indian Hindu living in the UAE. Can I apply for a divorce in the UAE using the law in my own country?

Answer: According to Article 1 of federal Law No. 28 of 2005 - the Personal Status Law - a resident expatriate in the UAE has the right to have his home country law applied here. The court would require a copy of the applicable law from your home country and a certificate issued by the concerned department in your home country that the law presented is used for divorce proceedings.

Want to know more?
Then talk to us.

Client Testimonials

I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.

Raphael Lauria
Manager, FME General Trading

Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.

Zhuo Liu

...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...

H.H. Sheikh Saeed Bin
Mohammed Hashir Al Maktoum

I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.

Luis Pozueco

Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.

Bassam Yamout
Director, JM Metal Trading LCC

He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.

Philippe Delbecq

Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.

Anil Relwani
Manager, Luxury Real Estate

Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.

Asma Mattar
Manager, Italian Style

Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.

Dr. Massimo Hakim
Chairman, Italian Style

I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.

Manish Gupta
Marketing Manager, Express Digital System

Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.

James Horsley
British Client

Contact Me

Main Menu

Contact Me