- Legal Articles
- Ask Elhais
December 24, 2017|
Question: We are a husband and a wife from different African countries, married in the UAE. We now have one child together, who will soon be two, and is in Africa with my wife, who wants a divorce.
1. Can divorce papers be process from outside UAE?
2. Is a wife able to be the custodian of a child?
3. If so, will the husband still have responsibilities to the child and what are the compulsory expenses that are to be covered by him?
1. Yes, but to use them here they must be fully attested from both the country of origin and the UAE embassy in the country of origin.
2. In accordance with local laws, the mother would be more likely to be the custodian of the child until age 11 for boys and 13 for girls; however, if the custodian refuses to stay with you in the UAE, you have the right to file a case to claim custody of the children and to oblige her to relocate to where you are.
3. The husband is fully liable to cover the expenses of raising the child, including food, clothes, medication, housing and schooling. The full amount is dependent on the father's income. If the child has special needs, the husband has to cover any additional medical expenses. Article 78/1 of personal status law 28 states: "Maintenance of children with no financial resources shall be borne by the father. Girls shall be looked after until they marry, while boys are to be maintained until they reach an employable age, unless he is a student pursuing study."
Question: A friend got married when was two months pregnant. She didn't know at the time and now she is wondering if she can go to a doctor for a pregnancy check-up and give birth in the UAE?
Answer: According to article 91 of law 28, the shortest time possible for a gestation period is one hundred and eighty days and the longest is three hundred and sixty five days, unless a committee of medical physicians decides otherwise. If courts found that the period between delivery and marriage was less than that, the court will not allow the child to be registered under the father's name. In accordance with article 92/2, he wouldn't have the right to custody of this child by any court order.
I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.
Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.
...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...
I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.
Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.
He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.
Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.
Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.
Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.
I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.
Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.