Publications / Criminal Law

criminal law


April 15, 2018

UAE legal Q&As: will an old shoplifting conviction appear on my permanent record?

Question: I was born and raised in Abu Dhabi. I am a 23-year-old college student and full-time employee. In December 2016 I was found guilty of shoplifting goods worth Dh120. I am innocent but had argued with the shop-owner who then decided to file a case against me. I was given a one-month suspended sentence by the court. I have now applied for a job in Dubai and my employer is asking me to submit a police clearance certificate. Is Dubai's criminal investigation department connected to Abu Dhabi's? If my case is only in Abu Dhabi Police's records, can I request a clearance certificate from Dubai?

Answer: It is highly likely that should you apply for a police clearance certificate the case will still appear in your criminal records regardless of where you apply for it from.

Question: I invested in a real estate unit in Dubai but construction stopped on the site for more than one year, do I have the right to file a case on this ground?

Answer: Yes, if the construction on the site stopped for more than 6 months as per the local real estate laws in Dubai you have the right to request the termination of the contract and request a refund of the paid amount plus interest of 9 percent, court charges and other expenses.

Want to know more?
Then talk to us.

Main Menu

Contact Me