- Legal Articles
April 11, 2016
Know your rights: 5 criminal laws every Dubai expat should know.
1) It is a criminal offense to leave the scene of an accident, however minor. The criminal sanctions for leaving the scene of an accident in which a person was injured are more severe (imprisonment and/or a minimum fine of 25,000 AED).
2) It is a criminal offense to drive a car with any alcohol in your system, regardless of whether the alcohol was consumed legally or not. According to UAE law there is zero tolerance to drink while driving.
3) It is a criminal offense to drive without valid driver's liability insurance. Take note of when your car insurance expires so that you can renew it in good time.
4) Keep your car insurance papers, car registration documents and driving license to hand when driving. In the event of an accident, it is a criminal offense if you fail to provide these to the police (although you may be given time to do so following an accident).
5) It is against the law to drive a vehicle in Dubai which is not in good mechanical condition, or does not have safe and functioning steering, brakes, horn, front mirror, wipers, seatbelt, and spare tire in a useable condition or headlights. If in breach of these laws, the vehicle may be confiscated by police and/or the driver fined or imprisoned. Please consult the RTA website for full details.