Legal Articles: Criminal Law - Extradition
DATE PUBLISHED: jul 13, 2014
TOP 5 Requirements when requesting for extradition
- Firstly, expatriates have the right to request for an extradition. The extradition must be done of persons who are wanted in the UAE for certain crimes.
- There should be an extradition treaty signed between the UAE and the country from which the suspect is requested to be extradited.
- The offence for which the suspect is requested to be extradited should also be a crime in the country requested to hand him over. Hence a person from the UK cannot be extradited to the UAE for giving in a bounced cheque.
- The Extradition is requested by issuing a notice in the name of the suspect through the Interpol. Such notices vary depending on the nature of the crime suspected, the severest one bring a Red notice which is for serious criminal offences.
- Any notice issued via the Interpol has an international effect and the suspect can be detained on the basis of the notice issued
back to top